Physiotherapy for Knee Pain
Knee pain can have many causes and is a very common complaint among adults. Knee pain can result from daily activities that cause ‘wear and tear’, such as walking, bending, lifting, or standing. Athletes who play sports or run are also likely to experience knee pain and problems, and with help from the Guelph Physiotherapy practitioners at the Health and Performance Centre, you can achieve your recovery goals.
Common Knee Problems:
- Meniscus/Cartilage Tears: Typically happens as a result of twisting the knee with the foot planted. It can also happen while squatting or kneeling. READ MORE
- Sprains or strained ligaments and/or muscles
- Osteoarthritis: a progressive loss of articular cartilage, which occurs until two bones are exposed to each other.
- Pes Anserinus Tendinopathy: an inflammatory condition of the bursa (in the knee) associated with the pes anserinus. READ MORE
- Knee replacements
- Shin splints
- Osgood-Schlatter Disease: Involves inflammation just below the knee where a bony structure called the tibial tubercle covers the growth plate in the shinbone (the tibia). It is usually caused by rapid growth spurts when muscles, bones and tendons are changing quickly.
Knee Pain Treatments:
- Exercise/Physical therapy
Knee Pain and Injury Resources:
Here are some details on how they work and tips on how to strengthen your knees and the surrounding muscles provided by the physiotherapy team here at the Health and Performance Centre (HPC).
If you are experiencing knee pain, call us at HPC 519-767-5011 to arrange an appointment with one of our physiotherapists.