Physiotherapy for Back Pain, HPC Guelph
How Physiotherapy Can Help Improve Your Back Pain and Mobility
Do you suffer from back pain? You're not alone! Back pain is a very common complaint from adults and can be extremely uncomfortable and debilitating, causing absence from work and the elimination of many things we enjoy in life.
Common causes of back pain:
- Muscle or ligament strain
- Repeated heavy lifting
- Prolonged positions that cause stress on muscles, discs, ligaments, or nerves
- Bulging or ruptured disks
- Neck Degenerative Disk Disease: a condition in which the vertebral discs wear down, thus causing neck and/or back pain. This can occur with age or as the result of activity or a sports injury.
- Arthritis or Osteoporosis
- Osteoarthritis: a progressive loss of articular cartilage, which occurs until two bones are exposed to each other. This causes increased friction, which may also lead to erosion of the meniscus and bone spurs.
- Pinched nerves
- Poor core muscle slipped discs
- Car accidents or other acute accidents
- Radiculopathy: a condition where a nerve is pinched by the spine. It occurs when spinal nerve roots have become damaged or impinged as they exit the spinal column between each vertebra, and travel throughout the body.
The good news is that with proper treatment and care, you can effectively solve your back pain issues. Coming to HPC means that you'll get a holistic approach to treatment and may include help from our physiotherapist, massage therapist or chiropractors.
Call us to determine what course of treatment may be best for you!
Some physiotherapy treatments to treat back pain include:
- Hands-on manual therapy
- Core strengthening exercises (preventative and rehabilitative)
- Education on posture and lifting
- Cold/hot therapy using ice or a heating pad