Low Back Pain Causes & Treatment | HPC Guelph
Are you experiencing Lower Back Pain (LBP)? You're not alone. Lower back pain is the most common complaint when it comes to musculoskeletal problems, affecting approximately 80% of people at some point in their lives. At the Health and Performance Centre, we understand the varied nature of low back pain and are here to help you find relief and get back to your active lifestyle.
Symptoms of Low Back Pain
Low back pain can manifest in different ways, including:
- Radiating pain down the leg, commonly known as sciatica pain.
- A sharp, localized pain in the back that may prevent you from standing straight.
- General constant aches in the low back or buttocks.
Common Causes of Low Back Pain
Many clients report that their LBP manifests gradually; however, it can also come on suddenly, triggered by a specific movement that would otherwise be pain-free, like carrying the laundry, leaning over to brush your teeth, vacuuming etc.
Several factors can contribute to low back pain, including:
- Poor lifting techniques or prolonged positions that strain structures such as discs, ligaments, muscles, or nerves.
- Nerve compression causing shooting pain, numbness, or tingling.
- Prolonged postures like sitting or bending, which gradually stress the tissues.
- Advanced arthritic changes in the joints due to repetitive use.
- Weak core and abdominal muscles.
- Sedentary lifestyle.
- Slipped disk or pinched nerve in the back.
- Car accidents or other traumatic incidents.
Effective Treatment for Low Back Pain
At the Health and Performance Centre, we offer comprehensive treatments to address the root causes of your low back pain. Our services include:
- Hands-on therapy, such as mobilization, traction, soft tissue techniques, and chiropractic manipulation when appropriate.
- Rehabilitative and preventative core strengthening exercises, including physiotherapy-based pilates instruction.
- Education on proper sitting postures and lifting mechanics.
- Ergonomic education and recommendations for your workplace.
- Modalities for pain control including electrotherapies, heat/ice therapy, acupuncture, and Intramuscular Injection (IMS).
- 1:1 Physiotherapy Pilates on the reformer supervised by a trained physiotherapist designed to help you build strength where needed.
- On-going strength programs like our Physiotherapy Pilates Classes. The Physio Pilates classes are ideal for those who want to improve their core strength and posture to help with the treatment of injuries to areas such as the low back and hip.
Our experienced team of healthcare professionals will create a personalized treatment plan tailored to your specific needs, aiming to alleviate your low back pain and restore your functionality.
Recovery and Prevention of Low Back Pain
In most cases, low back pain can be resolved within 6-8 weeks with a commitment of 2-3 weeks for 20-40 minutes per session. To reduce the high reoccurrence rate, which can be as high as 80%, we will provide you with a home strengthening program that you can continue independently. If your low back pain does not improve, our team will work closely with you and your family doctor to explore other diagnostic imaging or tests.
While the majority of low back pain can be treated conservatively, there are cases where surgical intervention is necessary. Our Path To Improved Health process ensures that we identify any red flags, communicate with your family doctor, and provide post-surgery recommendations when needed.
Our ultimate goal is to help you regain your pre-LBP level of function and prevent future episodes. Whether it's getting back to work, sports, or simply being able to sit comfortably, the Health and Performance Centre is dedicated to your well-being.
Experience relief from low back pain today. Contact us to schedule an appointment and take the first step towards improved health and performance.
Keywords: sports medicine, chiropractor, massage therapy, physiotherapy, low back pain, sciatica, musculoskeletal problems, treatment, Guelph, Ontario.