Build Your Own Medical Kit
Coming to the University this term? Make sure you pack these essential medical supply items in your moving boxes!
The following are some suggested basic supply items to bring with you to University.
- Immunization records (updated)
- Provincial health card or other health and dental insurance information
Basic Protective Measures for Infectious Illness Prevention
- Disposable gloves
- Alcohol Based hand sanitizer
- Absorbent cotton balls – to clean wounds
- Adhesive tape – to hold on bandaging
- Adhesive pads or sterile gauze pads in several sizes – for wound cover
- Antibiotic ointment – to apply to wounds to prevent infection
- Antiseptic solution (such as hydrogen peroxide) – for cleaning wounds
- Antiseptic wipes – for cleaning wounds
- Band-Aids – various sizes
- Elastic bandage (2”-3” wide)
- Antacids – for indigestion
- Analgesic (ibuprofen, acetaminophen or aspirin) – for mild pain or fever
- Anti-diarrhea – for diarrhea
- Anti-nausea Medication – for nausea
- Antihistamines – for allergies
- Cough drops/Lozenges
- Decongestant – for colds and sinus congestion
- Calamine lotion - for itchy bug bites and rashes
- EpiPen – if you require it and it has been prescribed for you
- Insect lotion or spray (with Deet)
Other Important Things to Bring
- Cold and hot packs (instant and disposable)
- Cotton tipped swabs
- Disinfectant household wipes – to clean surfaces, computer, & phone in your room
- Flashlight and batteries
- Safety pins
- Table salt – for sore throat, stir ½ teaspoon salt in 1 cup warm water, gargle, repeat 4 times/day
Remember to bring your prescription medication, inhalers, ointments, etc. and have a plan for how to get refills (if required) or make an appointment with a physician at Health Services (519-824-4120 x52131) to arrange for prescription refills.
If you have a chronic or recurring condition, we do recommend that you connect early with one of our physicians to ensure a prompt and effective response to your health issue so that you can stay healthy for your university experience.
Please complete the “Planning Your First Visit” Questionnaire that will be sent to you when you book an appointment at Health Services.
For information on the student health and dental plans (which are managed by the CSA and GSA) call 519-824-4120 x54798 or check out the Students Benefits/Coverage on this website.