Medical Notes

Are you a University of Guelph Student looking for a medical note? 

If you're experiencing symptoms of illness, please complete the student self-declaration form, which will act as your medical note for respiratory-related illnesses. This self-declaration form should be completed if you are missing a class or course requirements due to illness. If you have a paid job at the University, do not complete this form. Fill out the Employee Self-Declaration Form instead.

If you are experiencing symptoms of COVID-19 or other respiratory illness, please follow these steps to keep our community safe:

  • If you are ill, stay home.
  • Follow the directions, including self-isolation requirements, provided by the Ontario COVID-19 Self-Assessment Tool
  • Self-isolate until symptoms have been improving for 24 hours (or 48 hours if gastrointestinal symptoms) and no fever is present.
  • For a total of 10 days after the date of specimen collection or symptom onset (whichever is earlier/applicable), wear a well-fitted medical mask
  • Notify your instructors of your absence by email to discuss course requirements and deadlines.
  • Students who require an accommodation related to a verified disability should contact their SAS advisor for guidance on accommodations due to their illness.
  • If you will miss an academic deadline because you are ill, you should contact your course instructor to discuss your options.
  • Talk to your program counsellor if your illness lasts for a significant period of time.
  • Students living in residence should stay in their room while you are ill. If you must leave your room for any reason, including to use the washroom, you are encouraged to wear a mask.
    • Ask your roommates/friends for help delivering your meals. Connect with your Residence Advisor if you need further support.
  • You are NOT required to see a doctor if you test positive for COVID-19.
  • If you experience worsening symptoms, please call your family doctor or Student Health Services at 519-824-4120 ext. 52131 or Telehealth Ontario at 1-866-797-0000 to arrange an over-the-phone assessment. If your symptoms are severe, go to the emergency room or call 911.

If you have further questions or still need a medical note, please get in touch with your academic advisor or family doctor. 

Guelph Walk-in Medical Clinics