Documentation Guidelines

To protect the integrity of the university’s rigorous academic standards, SAS requires documentation that verifies the nature of a student’s disability.

The documentation must:

  • Be written by a registered health professional who is authorized to make a relevant diagnosis
  • Describe the functional limitations the student experiences
  • Be current and up to date. Documentation must be completed after the age of 18, against adult norms, and within the last three years.

If you suspect you might have a disability and you are in the process of being assessed by a doctor, please contact us to inquire about possible interim assistance.

Accommodations can be made for both permanent and temporary disabilities.  If you experience a disability that is not described below, please contact us for more information.

Functional Assessment Form

Our Functional Assessment form covers most types of disabilities, including the following:

  • Autism Spectrum Disorder
  • Injuries and Concussions
  • Mental Health Disabilities
  • Mobility, Dexterity and Perceptual Disabilities
  • Significant illnesses
    • Note that common ailments such as a cold or the flu are not considered disabilities.

Psycho-educational Assessment

A psycho-educational assessment is required for students who experience

  • a learning disability
  • Attention Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD).

Psycho-educational assessments for learning disabilities

Learning Disabilities include a variety of disorders that affect the acquisition, retention, understanding, organization, or use of verbal and/or non-verbal information. These disorders result from impairments in one or more psychological processes related to learning, in combination with otherwise average abilities essential for thinking and reasoning. Learning disabilities are specific and not global impairments; they are distinct from intellectual disabilities.

Documentation for students with learning disabilities must be in the form of a psycho-educational assessment report that conforms to established standards, including but not limited to:

  • The credentials and signature of the assessor, who must be a registered psychologist or psychological associate;
  • A description of the procedures used for the assessment, including relevant contextual information;
  • Evidence that appropriate psychometric testing has been employed, including instruments that have been validated against adult norms; 
  • Information about the severity of the functional limitations experienced by the student;
  • Ruling out of other possible explanations for the observed assessment results (differential diagnosis);
  • An indication that the results are believed to be a reasonable representation of the student’s normal abilities; and
  • Confirmation that a specific learning disability exists.
  • Be current and up to date. Learning Disabilities and ADHD must have been assessed at age 18 or older, or within the last three years. 



Psycho-educational assessments for Attention Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder

ADHD frequently co-occurs with other learning disabilities; therefore, a psycho-educational assessment is highly recommended for all students with ADHD. 

Since ADHD is a lifelong condition, a misdiagnosis could mean overlooking other treatment options that would bring about positive results. 

A reliable diagnosis should:

  • Be conducted by a health care professional with specialized training relating to the diagnosis of ADHD
  • Show evidence that the diagnostic criteria in the DSM-5 have been satisfied
  • Includes a review of evidence from childhood indicating that symptoms existed before age 12
  • Demonstrate that the individual is affected in two or more settings (e.g. home, school, work, etc.)
  • Rule out other explanations
  • Be current and up to date. ADHD must have been assessed at age 18 or older, or within the last three years. 


Individual Education Plans (IEPs)

Unfortunately, we cannot accept an IEP as documentation of a learning disability.


Support/Service Animals

All support and service animals on campus must be registered with SAS. Owners must complete the Service Animal Recommendation form to help ensure we get complete information.