Information for Faculty & Academic Staff
Information in this section has been provided based on some of the questions and concerns that faculty members frequently raise with us. We are happy to offer further explanation - please do not hesitate to contact us.
New Faculty Portal
Note that by default, in the SAS Faculty Portal instructors are associated with courses based on data we receive from Colleague.
- Automated Quiz Extension Tool (CourseLink)
- Quick Tips Infographics
- Accessibility for Instructors from the Teaching & Learning Innovations Conference 2021
- How to make courses more accessible: reflections from fall 2020
- Universal Extra Time for Assessments
Resources in Response to COVID-19 from Summer 2020
- Accessibility & Plans for F20 (July 16, 2020) - PDF
- Hybrid Semester: Tips for Accessible Teaching & Learning
- Respondus & Accessibility
- Privacy of student information: how to avoid potential privacy concerns
- Alternate format text allows students to access textbooks and other academic materials using a variety of adaptive technologies.
- Course outlines contain critical information relating to accessibility.
- Disclosure of a disability is entirely at the discretion of the student, and we do what we can to facilitate that process when appropriate.
- Essential requirements are tasks or activities that are core to the specific learning outcomes of a course or program.
- Principles of accessible education can help to reduce the need for academic accommodations by design. Open Learning and Educational Support are invaluable partners in this pursuit.
Accommodations and Services
Faculty members are often interested in some of the more sensitive accommodations such as the use of calculators and memory aids. Note that some students make use of a word processor as an accommodation, which includes spelling and grammar check functions. This may be due to a dexterity impairment, or as the result of a learning disability.
For students who experience barriers to taking notes in class, our Note Taking Office may reach out for assistance in identifying a volunteer.
More information about accommodations is available under the "what we do" menu item at the top of this page.
Important: Tests & Exams
If you use the SAS Exam Centre, please remember that all test and exam bookings must be submitted at least 10 BUSINESS DAYS ahead of when you intend to write.
In addition, the last day any bookings can be received is the first business day in November, March or July as appropriate for the semester.