Information for Faculty
Information in this section has been provided based on some of the questions and concerns that faculty members frequently raise with us. We are happy to offer further explanation - please do not hesitate to contact us.
- Student Lists on A.O. for online quizzes, tests and exams
- How to make courses more accessible: reflections from fall 2020
- Universal Design for Assessments
- Enabling Captioning in Zoom (when requested as an accommodation)
- Data Collection: explanation of streamlined process
- Data Collection: Quizzes, Tests & Exams (tutorial)
Resources in Response to COVID-19 from Summer 2020
- Accessibility & Plans for F20 (July 16, 2020) - PDF
- Hybrid Semester: Tips for Accessible Teaching & Learning
- Respondus & Accessibility
- Privacy of student information: how to avoid potential privacy concerns
- Alternate format text allows students to access textbooks and other academic materials using a variety of adaptive technologies.
- Course outlines contain critical information relating to accessibility.
- Disclosure of a disability is entirely at the discretion of the student, and we do what we can to facilitate that process when appropriate.
- Essential requirements are tasks or activities that are core to the specific learning outcomes of a course or program.
- Principles of accessible education can help to reduce the need for academic accommodations by design. Open Learning and Educational Support are invaluable partners in this pursuit.
Accommodations and Services
Faculty members are often interested in some of the more sensitive accommodations such as the use of calculators and memory aids. Note that some students make use of a word processor as an accommodation, which includes spelling and gramar check functions. This may be due to a dexterity impairment, or as the result of a learning disability.
For students who experience barriers to taking notes in class, our Note Taking Office may reach out for assistance in identifying a volunteer.
More information about accommodations is available under the "what we do" menu item at the top of this page.