The University has an animals on campus protocol that is a framework for how we manage support/service animals. Students who wish to bring a Support/Service Animal into the University's facilities must register with SAS by completing a New Student Intake Form, and providing supporting documentation. We have also put together some general information about the behavioural expectations of support/service animals.
Definition of a Service Animal
The Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA) has Integrated Accessibility Standards. Within that legislation are the following provisions regarding service animals.
80.47 (2) "If a person with a disability is accompanied by a guide dog or other service animal, the provider shall ensure that the person is permitted to enter the premises with the animal and to keep the animal with him or her, unless the animal is otherwise excluded by law from the premises.
(3) If a service animal is excluded by law from the premises, the provider shall ensure that other measures are available to enable a person with a disability to obtain, use or benefit from the provider’s goods, services or facilities."
80.45 (4) "An animal is a service animal for a person with a disability if,
- The animal can be readily identified as one that is being used by the person for reasons relating to the person’s disability, as a result of visual indicators such as the vest or harness worn by the animal;
- The person provides documentation from one of the following regulated health professionals confirming that the person requires the animal for reasons relating to the disability:
- A member of the College of Audiologists and Speech-Language Pathologists of Ontario.
- A member of the College of Chiropractors of Ontario.
- A member of the College of Nurses of Ontario.
- A member of the College of Occupational Therapists of Ontario.
- A member of the College of Optometrists of Ontario.
- A member of the College of Physicians and Surgeons of Ontario.
- A member of the College of Physiotherapists of Ontario.
- A member of the College of Psychologists of Ontario.
- A member of the College of Registered Psychotherapists and Registered Mental Health Therapists of Ontario."
Exam Centre Deadline
Booking to use the SAS Exam Centre must be done 14 days before the test/exam and no later than November 1 (fall), March 1 (winter) and July 1 (summer). Login to Accessibility Online to book now.