How to Use Microsoft Teams to Meet with Your Advisor
This page contains the following sections:
- Before Your Meeting
- To Start Your Meeting
- During Your Meeting
- After the Meeting
- Missed Appointments
- More resources
If you would find it helpful to see images along with these instructions, please review the PDF version.
Make sure you have a computer or mobile device, speakers or headphones for audio, and a microphone – most mobile devices, laptops and headphones have built-in microphones.
- Consider also having a pen and paper or assistive device to jot notes, dates, and questions.
Microsoft Teams (MS Teams) is a free application that U of G Students can start using instantly by logging into your U of Guelph e-mail account.
Microsoft teams has a web browser version that you can access, but more accessibility features are present on the desktop app (application), and this is recommended.
To Download the MS Teams Desktop App:
- Go to Microsoft Teams Application Download Page
- Select the appropriate installation package such as Windows, macOS, Apple App Store or Google Playstore
- Follow the on-screen instructions to install and then sign-in with your @uoguelph.ca email address
To Access MS Teams on your Web Browser:
- Log in to your University of Guelph Email using your web browser (e.g. Google Chrome).
- Click on Apps Launcher button on the top left corner, beside the word Outlook
- Then select "Teams"
- Now you're ready to use MS Teams right from your web browser!
Ensure you’re in a private space as you may discuss sensitive disability-related information.
Log onto MS Teams (through either the desktop app or your web browser) at the scheduled time
Review the email received from the Student Wellness/Accessibility Services front desk (firstname.lastname@example.org) for appointment details, including time and date.
Your SAS Advisor will call you at the time you scheduled using the Teams Call Feature.
You will need to Answer the Call.
Once you’ve answered your advisors call you should see (and hear) your advisor!
- If you experience lag, try closing apps and browser tabs, and checking for apps running in the background. You may also consider moving to a space where the internet connection is better.
Following the current meeting on MS Teams, all future appointments to meet must be booked through the Student Wellness Front Desk by calling 519-824-4120 ext. 56208. If you experience barriers with using the phone, please email email@example.com.
Please note that your SAS Advisor, will NOT be available over the Chat or any other features of the application following the current meeting.
Accessibility Services staff do not book appointments with students in the Calendar option in either MS Outlook or MS Teams. Appointments requests must be made through the front desk via phone or email.
If the connection could not be established on MS Teams, your SAS Advisor will attempt to call you at the phone number we have listed on file.
Appointments that are 10 minutes or more late in starting will likely need to be rescheduled and you may connect with the front desk to request a new MS Teams appointment. If you forget that you have an appointment, or forget to cancel it, a $20 no-show fee may apply.
An overview of Microsoft Team’s accessibility features.
If you are having technical issues after this primer, contact CCS Help Services.
If you have questions or issue with Microsoft Teams Accessibility features, check out their Accessibility Answer Desk or ask their support staff.
If you are having difficulty reaching your advisor, contact the Student Wellness Front Desk at 519-824-4120 ext. 56208 or firstname.lastname@example.org.