- A clear understanding of the rationale for mandating attendance or taking it into consideration when grading
- Recognition that sometimes students have important medical appointments that are booked months in advance
- Understanding that students might experience an unexpected and unavoidable flare-up of a health condition that can result in an absence
- Acknowledgement that mandatory attendance encourages students to be physically present when they are unwell
- Mindful consideration of any institutional policy statements on class attendance
- When attendance is essential, provide flexibility by giving everyone an opportunity to miss at least one class without consequence.
- Consider an option for students to makeup missed in-class opportunities (e.g. reflection paper).
- Use class time to examine concepts in greater depth or set them in context, rather than presenting content that is only available through attendance.
- Provide the opportunity to record, webcast, and/or access speaker’s notes.
- Consider whether alternatives exist such as online tutorials or an online discussion forum.
Back: Class Discussion | Next: Sensitive Topics