Dealing with a Student in Personal Difficulty

Students experiencing difficulties of an emotional nature often turn  the faculty and staff for support. These problems may be related to transition, family relationships, sexuality, grief and loss, abuse or any number of issues. At times they may require immediate attention. Visit Signs and Symptoms for more information on identifying students in crisis.

What Help is Available from Counselling Services?

Initial contacts can be made in person or by telephone; however, we ask that students make their own appointments.

1) Counselling Services for Students

A variety of counselling services is offered to students including individual and group counselling, crisis intervention, assessment and referral, and where appropriate, medication and hospitalization. These services are provided by a team of multi-disciplinary mental health professionals.

2) Consultation for Faculty and Staff

If you have concerns about a particular student and wish to talk about the student and/or want assistance with making a referral, call Counselling Services at Ext. 53244 during regular working hours. A counsellor is available each day for immediate consultation and advice.

When a Student Says "No" to a Referral

You may have made a decision to refer a student for very good reason, only to have the student refuse to see a counsellor. Except in cases of clear emergency, respect the student's right to accept or refuse counselling. If it is not an emergency, it is important to give the student some time to think things over. If you have time to meet again you can share your concerns and reasons once more. If a student wishes to continue to talk to you, then consider your own personal limits with respect to your energy and ability to help.


Please visit our Confidentiality page for how we respect students' privacy and personal information.